I was introduced to Bob Burg and his best-selling book The Go-Giver a few years ago, and by introduced I mean Kim would not let up until I read the book – and for good reason! At this point, it’s definitely the book Kim and I have gifted to the most people.
After reading The Go-Giver, I realized that, in business, I was more focused on me and my goals than what the other people’s needs were. I figure I’m not the only person out there who needs a dose of go-giving in their business life, so I start this conversation off by talking about how Bob does sales.
Then we dive deep into Bob’s new book, The Go-Giver Influencer: A Little Story About a Most Persuasive Idea. In one way or another, we’re all influencers in today’s digital world – and the insights in this book can be leveraged by anyone to grow their personal or business brand.
In This Conversation We Cover:
- [4:20] Growing up in the Burg household
- [6:10] Learning about sales from Zig Ziglar & Tom Hopkins
- [8:50] The principles of being a good writer
- [11:00] Bob’s advice for mastering the sale
- [18:45] Questions you can ask yourself to focus your efforts more on giving people high value
- [21:20] Everything you need to know about becoming a Go-Giver Influencer
- [25:20] The 8 words you can say to move people to your side of an issue (when you have no common ground)
- [29:30] What it means to listen with the back of your neck & how you can use that strategy in your life
- [30:50] Good & bad goals for aspiring influencers
- [33:00] A huge mistake Bob made with one of his books & how he was able to turn it around
- [38:15] Playing hard
- [41:45] Your questions for Bob
We’re All Salespeople
Everyone has to sell themselves, regardless of what they do… but not everyone is doing a great job!
Bob says that people don’t pay enough attention to what is going on in the mind of the prospective customer or client and pay way too much attention to their product or service.
“If you think about it, selling is nothing more than discovering what the other person needs, wants, or desires – and then helping them to get it.”
- Check out burg.com
- Connect with Bob: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
- The Go-Giver Influencer: A Little Story About a Most Persuasive Idea by Bob Burg
- The Go-Giver by Bob Burg
- Listen to Bob’s podcast: The Go-Giver Podcast
- See You at the Top by Zig Ziglar
- Secrets of Closing the Sale
- How to Master the Art of Selling by Tom Hopkins