009: Avoiding Relationship Groundhog Day | Fri-Date With The Wifey
Today’s Topic: Avoiding Relationship Groundhog Day by Creating a Dream Line
Do you remember Groundhog Day, the hilarious Bill Murray movie about a man who wakes up to live the same day, every day?
Too many people are living life just like this – they wake up, brush their teeth, come home, feed the kid, read a story, go to bed, and then wake up and do it all over again.
It’s easy to fall into that trap, but it’s not a great place to be.
Kim and I fell into this trap at one point, too, but we were able to climb out of it using one of Tim Ferriss’ tools: The Dream Line. It’s all about finding what you want to have, be, and do over the next six months.
Tim Ferriss says, “Dreamlining focuses on activities that will fill the vacuum created when work is removed. Living like a millionaire requires doing interesting things and not just owning enviable things.”
Here’s a few tips on how to use this tool in your own life:
- Come up with what you want to have and what those things realistically cost (e.g. an Aston Martin is about $1,700 / month). What is the Total Monthly Income you will need to have those things?
- Play Stupid Idea Time, an important (and fun) part of the dreaming together process. When you create the stupid idea time parameters, it will give you the freedom to say something that may be viewed as “stupid,” which may be just what you need to get out of a rut. (Thanks, Madam Secretary, for the idea.)
- If you’re anything like me, you’re fascinated by, and constantly consuming more information about, personal development… and if you’re anything like me, you implement way less than you learn. Kim, on the other hand, is a great implementer – and that’s who you want to learn from. Personal development within a relationship is really important, but it only works if you implement it – together! Our advice is to narrow your focus to no more than three things that you want to implement at any given time, master them, and then start over.
- I’d love your feedback on the show, and to show my thanks I’m raffling away a ticket to Lewis Howes’ next event, every week. Click here to review the podcast and leave a 5-star Review.
- Want to try Organifi Gold Superfood Powder? Use discount code “WORKHARDPLAYHARD” for 20% off at organifishop.com