Creating a Rocker Persona on VH1… & Then Ditching it for Authenticity – with Jennifer Leah Gottlieb
Jennifer Leah Gottlieb is the owner of JLG Fitness, the creator of the 360 Shift, and co-host of 14 seasons of VH1’s international hit That Metal Show.
On That Metal Show, Jen interviewed and did on-camera fitness routines with legendary rock and roll icons such as Ted Nugent, Dee Snider of Twisted Sister, and Peter Criss of Kiss. These wildly popular segments went viral and launched Jennifer’s own web series, Miss Box of Fitness.
I wanted to have Jen on the show because her story will show you how easy it can be to create a persona – and how difficult it can be to actually shake that persona!
In This Conversation We Cover:
- [4:00] Jen’s early childhood
- [6:40] How one decision in high school shaped Jen’s life trajectory
- [10:10] Manifesting a role in The Wedding Singer
- [17:00] Writing a personal “badass list”
- [18:10] What it’s like living on a tour bus & doing 10 shows per week
- [25:45] Jen’s first day on set at VH1
- [34:00] Getting into the Screen Actors Guild
- [37:00] The challenge of ditching that rocker persona & showing who she really is
- [46:00] Finding balance & peace in Manhattan – and then using the energy to get shit done
- [52:30] Playing hard… which is harder these days than it used to be!