Today’s Topic: A Conversation About Money
This episode is the last in our series of dates as we go through the exercises in John Gottman’s new book, Eight Dates, in order to test our relationship and see how connected we are. This week, we are talking about our mindsets around money, how we grew up thinking about money, and some of our best money memories. The point is to learn more about each other and also identify the blind spots we may have picked up in our life.
In This Conversation We Cover:
- [04:06] What did your grandparents do for a living?
- [07:30] What did your parents do for a living?
- [11:52] What were your parents’ attitudes about money?
- [18:13] Did your family take family vacations or travel together when you were growing up?
- [20:23] Did your family have company?
- [22:05] Did your family engage in philanthropy or charitable activities?
- [23:50] Did you get an allowance?
- [27:48] What was your work history?
- [31:50] Did your parents celebrate your birthdays?
- [36:12] How did your parents show you that they were proud of you?
- [36:58] Did you get presents at holidays and does that fact matter for you?
- [38:31] What is your happiest or best money memory?